Meet the Brunchnista : Dr. Ally Hicks
Dr. Ally Hicks is a Creative Consultant and Entertainment Mental Health Expert. She strives to have accurate images of mental health portrayed in the media. Her specialty focus leads her to examine how minority women, physical appearance, and cosmetic surgery in the media alter, our perception of body image.
With a career focused on helping others, I was curious to find out what she does to contribute to her well-being. I recently caught up with Dr. Ally -Clinical Psychologist to find out how she brunches! Here are my ten quick-fire questions and here's what the Good Doctor had to say about her brunch behavior!
- Favorite brunch spot? My favorite brunch spot would have to be this little spot in Silver Lake called Little Pine. I’m vegan and when the server comes around to take my order I experience a quick pang of anxiety. Nobody wants to be the person with all the “special” exceptions at brunch. But Little Pine is vegan and insanely delicious so I never have to worry about what I’m eating.
- Coffee or Tea? I’m definitely a coffee girl. And when I do drink tea it tends to be black and filled with some type of coconut creamer, so basically coffee
- Mimosa or Bellini? Honestly, I’ve never been too picky. But I’d say I prefer a good peach Bellini.
- When I’m not being a Brunchnista , You can find me? There is a lot of time I’m not brunching but when I’m not I’m probably at home reading or planning some event I have coming up. I also spend a lot of time working on projects for clients. But in my off time I love going to art shows and museums with my husband
- When I brunch at home, my go to meal is? My go to, at home, brunch meal would have to be good ol’ pancakes. Once I figured out how to make them light a fluffy with that little crispy ridge I was addicted.
- Favorite brunch squad! I tend to brunch with one friend at a time. I like to keep things personal. But my friend Kelli and my cousin Kim are most often my partners in brunch related crime. Kelli and I always talk shop focusing on entertainment industry conversations. My cousin and I discuss spirit, current events, and family. All the things you shouldn’t talk about over Bellinis and French toast.
- One brunch item you hate? This is a hard one. Because I tend to know what I like and don’t order things I know I’ll dislike. Well, anything with a fried or runny egg on top. Ewwww!
- Most played song on your iTunes? Joanne by Lady Gaga
- If you could have brunch with any woman, who would it be and why? If I could brunch with any living woman it would definitely be Maya Rudolph. It seems like we’d get a little tipsy and practice our Beyonce impressions. Maya, if you’re reading this, hit me up on IG, let’s brunch! If I could brunch with anyone from history, via some time machine, I would choose this obscure Russian philosopher and psychoanalyst named Lou Andreas-Salome. She was a dynamic and truly genius woman that solidified herself as a thought leader in turn of the century Europe. I’ve always felt connected to her and wonder if we were friends in another life.
- Fav brunch outfit? A pastel or white sundress all day!